Monday 2 March 2009

COMMISSIONED PAINTINGS

During 2004/5 happened to sell a few paintings. The first exhibition ran for 4 weeks at Joogleberry Playhouse, Brighton. Police were on the scene within the 1st week as my 4' x 4' Morrissey painting got nicked. How can you STEAL a painting that big? Gutted but flattered.

Oscar was on the flyers/posters for the 2nd exhibition. One of my favourites and the only one not to be sold, well - apart from Dusty who to this day, still resides lopsidedly in my mum's kitchen. An exciting and eccentric lady, Heather Appleby (I'm 82 you know), bought Judy and Freddie. She'd met Judy a few times in the 60s. I'd captured her fear very well, she said.
I met Heather on a number of occasions. We'd drink brandy until 1am. She said I'd look good draped in velvet. Good old Heather.

Wesley

Freddie

Johnny


Oscar

With Stephen, I wanted the feel of tweed and postage stamp meets textiles. He's safe with Jason and Sue now.
Stephen

Replacing black with dark green is much more menacing. I hope I've captured his thickly spread concentration.
Stanley

Robert

Nina (inky outline)


Nick

Cheeky one really. With just 2 hours before all paintings had to be hanged, I was still tarting around with the background to Michael. If truth be told, this one should have Alison Swann's signature on it too. Thanks Alibob.
Michael

The fear I captured.
Judy
The first one I sold. Based on an excellently grubby Liebowitz photograph. Ellen is standing on a Kauai beach in Hawaii and is grasping her breasts through her bikini top. She has a white mime face and is smoking a cigarette. This painting is in Tracey and Julia's wonderful Wiltshire home.
One of my favourites. This was for Joel's birthday. I adore the bleeding orange background. Once again, no black needed.
Brian

Barbra

Mrs Singer

Mr and Mrs Singer

Me, aged 5

Mum, aged 34

Mum and Dad, 1972

Me and Miles

This is my favourite of all. Ibiza 1982. Milly with a bucket on his head. Once again, the red bleeding background omits a third of his features but it doesn't matter. It never does.
Miles, aged 3

No comments: